Thursday, February 27, 2014

New Reads

One of my favorite things to do is get lost in a good book.  It can be a bit dangerous when you have small children since all hell breaks loose as my nose was buried in a historical novel (that was my favorite genre when my kids were little,  loved the Morris series!)  I couldn't put it down as I was involved in the main characters lives & would say to myself,  just one more chapter.
But soon,  I had to give this up for light reads or 5th grade chapter books (since my kids were girls,  I started reading the American girl doll series,  I actually liked them).  I have tried to keep up with what my kids  were reading & have been surprised that I've liked them.  One of my rules with movie going was that the book had to be read before seeing it on the Big Screen.  Most of the time,  the kids agreed with me that the book was better.  Now that the kids are older,  there are more opportunities to read again.  This weekend was State Swim meet (Superstar got another medal to add to her collection).  This meant lots of opportunity to sit & read as we waited to watch her swim less than a minute.  I started reading   Divergent.
 I know my kids want to see the movie & have read the book already.  So,  I picked it up at the library (along with an audio book by John Grisham,  made the long drive go faster).  But,  I digress,  the books I've been reading lately have been those that my teenagers have been caught up in.  They seem so realistic.  That's how I felt about Hunger Games & now how I'm feeling about this book.  This stuff could really happen.  And it makes me long for Jesus to come before any of this tribulation stuff.  Sigh.... scary.... though I know who is the Victor,  I still do not want to have to fight.  But I guess that's what makes it a good read.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's because they feel real that I don't like to read them or watch the movies. (The first Hunger Games movie almost undid me.) Way too intense for me.

    ReplyDelete